Shiplap Built-In Progress
It’s been a hot minute since I gave an update on our shiplap built-in entertainment center project and that’s mostly because our contractors are taking foooreeevvveerrrr. We hired them for the project five months ago and progress has been super duper slow. But rather than complain about the woodworkers that we’ll never hire again, let’s talk about the positives!
Here’s the first post about the shiplap built-in if you’d like to refresh your memory and see our inspiration for the project. We decided to use this awesome shiplap built-in by Studio McGee as inspiration for our build. I love the shiplap, the floating cabinet and the rustic shelving against the white.
The first step was for the woodworkers to frame out the built-in. Part of our wall was deeper than the other side so we had to frame it out so that the back wall would be flush. Then we had to have an electrician come out and move the electrical outlets out. We also had the electrician pre-wire for a mounted TV by adding HDMI cables and an outlet directly in the center of the built-in so we could conceal all of the wires. After some back and forth, I also had them pre-wire for two light fixtures at the top of the shelving units.
Here’s a close-up of one of the outlets moved forward out of the original wall.
After all the electrical work was done the woodworkers started installing the shiplap panels. We choose 6″ shiplap panels, which have to be custom milled to create at mitered edge before they are installed. Slowly but surely, we’re getting there!
Finally, they installed the cabinet unit! So that’s where we’re at now with our shiplap built-in. They have to finish a few shiplap panels, the cabinet doors, sand and paint and install the shelving. Then we will finish up by installing baseboards, the two light fixtures, cabinet hardware, hang the TV and style the shelves. I spent all day yesterday contemplating which sconces I wanted to install and I finally pulled the trigger on some that I’m pretty excited about. I think I’ll save them for the reveal though 😉
Still a little ways to go, but this project has been in progress for almost five months, so what’s a few more weeks. Sigh.